Improving Employee Satisfaction Ratings
IDENTIFY & LEVERAGE FEVS RESPONSES TO STRENGTHEN TEAMS AND LEADERS
Data gathered from employee surveys used to improve retention and recruitment.
After a Federal client received results from their annual employee survey, managers were unsure of how to utilize the results. They needed help to better understand the feedback received, to let employees know their voices are valued and action was being taken to address the feedback.
Managers at a Federal client needed assistance analyzing responses from the annual Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey (FEVS) and planning a team session to share the survey results. Managers needed to make informed strategic decisions to improve organizational performance and reduce operational costs, while being cognizant of a challenging environment for employee recruitment and retention. Therefore, all decisions needed to be made with a keen eye to workplace satisfaction.
Evans consultants helped the managers understand the many benefits of openly sharing survey results with employees. Evans then presented the client with different options for data reporting and staff engagement approaches. Using the approach the client chose, Evans facilitated a staff meeting for the client with relevant and meaningful engagement activities. From the discussions, Evans was able to capture ideas and themes, prioritize feedback, and recommend an action plan .
When carefully implemented, engagement surveys give employees the chance to provide important feedback and have the ability to have a long-lasting positive impact on your team. However, there is work that needs to be done before the results are delivered. Leadership should have a clear vision for the use of employee survey results and be prepared to glean actionable insights from the responses and strategically respond in a way that builds employee trust and empowerment.
Evans offered our Federal client a customized plan based on client input during strategic planning sessions. Our adaptable approaches included:
Flexible action planning
- Develop insights and data visualization using results from the employee survey.
- Respond to emerging needs and insights from the survey.
- Align improvement strategies to organizational goals.
Human-centered stakeholder engagement
- Advise and execute a communications strategy before, during, and after survey administration.
- Host a Leadership Team (LT) meeting focused on the Leadership section of FEVS and an All Hands meeting focused on the Org and Work Experience sections of the survey.
- Work with the LT to reflect and plan for how to show up as listening leaders during All Hands meeting.
- Facilitate discussions to yield feedback and prioritize action plans.
- Guide continuous improvement initiatives by continually engaging the LT and workforce throughout the year.
- Create benchmarks to track period-over-period improvement.
- Have accountability check-ins to ensure progress is being made on selected action plans.
When employees see that their feedback is being used, they are more likely to participate, they recognize that the survey matters, and, most importantly, they are more satisfied with their jobs and leadership. This client saw a 24.4% increase in participation from one survey year to the next, a 38.4% increase in employees believing the results of the survey would be used, and a 21% increase in satisfaction with leadership. Evans and the client have also launched several initiatives that tied directly to key challenges surfaced in the survey results.