Creation of a High-Performing Program Management Office (PMO)
Evans was engaged by a Federal agency to support the consolidation of the program management function and help institutionalize the new program management office.
The consolidation of the program management functions involved several different lines of business, each with its own culture and way of planning and implementing programs. Evans supported the effective institutionalization of the new PMO, helping to align thousands of federal staff and support contractors toward a common approach for program management.
The Evans Team employed a multi-pronged approach to support the standup and institutionalization of the PMO:
- Worked with senior leadership to create a high-performing executive team, aligning it on its vision and mission and the critical cornerstones of the new operational model
- Diagnosed the health of select, high-priority programs to better gauge the risk and opportunities within this agency’s portfolio
- Institutionalized regular program reviews, aiding communication and information sharing across the boundaries of lines of business and programs
- Consulted leadership on prioritization and implementation of best practices and standard operating procedures required to support consistency across programs (e.g., requirements management, risk management)
- Developed a standard capability-based approach to integrate cross-platform capabilities and to coordinate design, deployment, and implementation in a more collaborative way
After a few years, the Evans Team reassessed how well the organization had realized originally intended benefits, generating further continuous improvement and organizational change initiatives to mature the organization’s performance.